contextual page

This is a contextual practise I did in 21, June. Instead of the description part, we are require to do more deep making comparison and analyse the different between is more important.

Contextual practice

This is about identifying three questions about why, how and what. These three questions helps me to identify my specialism and my goals during study in university. Using I believe, I assume and I think, can make people feel the point  stronger and powerful. Here are also few manifesto as well.

Chloe pre-fall 2017

Flora Print

I have chosen four images to make the comparison and also finding the similarity from these images as well. I have chosen three flora print used in fashion and one in wall paper because I got this element from a vintage clothes(on the right hand side) so I want to compare with the clothes in the past and nowadays.  These images are all related to the flora print but they are in different scale, different textures and densities as well. By looking at the image I think Pringle of Scotland used a special materials to print the flora in the middle which can protect the print not getting wet. Speaking of Chole and Ulla I think the densely really effect to different emotions or giving people different impressions. For me, I prefer Chole’s because the density land also the undyed looks giving me a elegant outlook and the Ulla is quite universal and it looks cheap for me.

Drawing Practice

This is a time limited drawing practice. I drew different images on the same shapes I think it motivated my innovative and also made me more observant from the daily.

On the right side is a fashion illustration made by Charles Jeffrey. I think this is very important for a fashion designer which depict his idea and make the inspiration visualisation. He always uses mixed media as the paper itself and create many innovative sketches. The reason why I like his illustrations is for using the negative space to create the silhouette and also the contour is initial as well. In another way, I study in textile design so I should be capable to use mass media and playing with colours also the contour of the textile design which I should study from Jeffrey's. Comparing to his illustration, mine is too plain and 2D and is not exciting and stunning at all because it doesn't show my passion on the illustration and also my ability to use materials into sketches.

10,July, Partnership

Image

CSM Museum Collection

CSM Museum Collection

CSM Museum Collection

It is quite unfamiliar way to know about a object by not reading any description. This is a book that I have got today and I analyse this object in different way by the surface, content, established time, smell and such. It is all visual and surface work then we assume the function of this book. Personally, I feel very interesting and it gives me a deeper impression by only reading to a written description by other.

Library contextual practice

Encyclopedia of Flower

Encyclopedia of Flower

RHS Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers

Botanicum (Welcome To The Museum)

The Botanical Treasury

Gerard's Herbal

July 18

This is a checklist to ensure I meet all the requirement of the Unit 5 study. Finding my weakness and things I have not done well so that I could still catch up right now. I think those words are useful for contextual practice to use.

Checklist of Unit5

Contextual practice

This is my first contextual practice and this sheet is a reflection writing from my partner. By getting a new project which is irritated to my specialist, photography. Then I was asked from my partner about my difficulty. Here I have got several bullet point: Firstly, time management because I need to research and I wasted too much time on it which leads to short of time to practice on taking photos. Secondly, I need to think about my personality and make effort on taking pictures as well. Last but not the least, putting enough depth on the image instead of just recording the movement. My action plan is to develop my ideas instead of doing research only. Describing the image with depth and personal message.

pringle-of-scotland 2018

Ulla Johnson Pre-Fall 2017

Charles Jeffrey

CSM Museum Collection

A chosen book from my partner

10,July, Partnership

This section is about collaborate with other people who works in different specialism. I have basic understanding of my partner Xiao Liang's specialism after the first section sorting out out similarity and difference. What's more, we have different analyse habit and we think differently through many process today. 

10,July, Partnership

Encyclopedia of Flower

RHS Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers

Botanicum (Welcome To The Museum)

The Botanical Treasury

The Botanical Treasury

Text box

These are different types of modern encyclopaedia which face to various needed of encyclopaedia book and making comparison not only to themselves but also to the CSM Museum Collection- Gerard’s Herbal. For example, Encyclopedia of Flower is based on plants and flowers ikebana photography. On the other hand, RHS Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers and Botanicum (Welcome To The Museum) show more scientific contents and images less in aesthetic way. What’s more, nowadays book design prone to be focusing on graphic design. From this point of view, I found that knowledge is long lasting and it can be updated while the decades change somehow it also shows the continuity of knowledge as well. By changing different ways of editing book and various way to make people feel like knowledge is can be shown by not only content but also images and other way as well.

Context practice