Vija Celmins

Vija Celmins works are based on natural imagery, including ocean waves, desert floors, and night skies. For me, it is really hard to differentiate what object is she depicting because is too vast and mercurial. By viewing her art works are mostly based on black and white in order to make the contrast obviously. She picked up images by reading books and she want to draw those images to show herself and she want to be close to art. I think she wanted to break the rules about the old- fashion painting style so she decided to drawing the mercurial and vast thing. Also she has talked about the first image of the moon as well the potato-porridge texture like. I really like the surface drawings and is peaceful and soft for my site. On the other hand, I think I can study from her way of thinking process, making textile pieces doesn't has to be depicting the whole of the object it can be also picking up the vast part which can make more depth.

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxd2JEJa3RI

All That’s Left, 2016.

Anna Betbeze

name: All That’s Left, 2016.

Materials: Laine, colorants acides.

Anna Betbeze has embraced flokatis as her canvas of choice. Making a particularly rarefied breed of these fluffy floor coverings which shows a way of beau monde. To create these works, she have used so many techniques in order to achieve the acclaimed outcome such as burns,bleaches, and even buries the rugs, then coats and embeds their fibers with vibrant pigments.

By viewing her works I think her works really stop people, I feel like I can smell the burnt fiber and I do want to slipping my hand through those holes. Comparing to Anna Betbeze’s works my works is about using natural materials to create a functional object then I can place it into the public area. I want to show how peaceful the environment is and people should use the natural materials logically. The nature has given us a lot pleasure and I think we can use these natural things to the maximum.By using those leaves rubbish and litter as my materials. Also I do think she inspire me to focus on texture as well from her shaggy fiber surface works . What’s more, dying techniques could be on the willing to try list because the colours creates different layers and shading making the works more vivid as it can breathe.

Personally works somehow emphasise the environment is under tortured. By seeing this over coloured carpet with burn smell I do feel shame about how human beings treating the environment nowadays. This compelling work could be seem as a alarm to us represent the balance between humans and the nature.

Reference:https://www.artsy.net/artist/anna-betbeze

Lot 121814 (spore 1, radiant blue), 2015

DONALD MOFFETT

Materials:Oil on linen with wood panel support

A particularly technique that Moffett is using now: firstly, stretching canvas over plywood, then he  drills holes into it before applying delicate threads of oil paint. In my point of view, the filament-like textures and voids could be read as hair and opening holes of the body, or as bullet holes and animal fur. For me is really hard to read the real meaning of this piece of work but these holes and the fur looks quite balance combing in this way. It’s the ambiguity in both form and subject he made. I think his works somehow influence me and gives me idea of making my piece of work. I think making a cushion for bench could be very interesting and utility.

Reference:https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-donald-moffett-shows-enigmatic-new-paintings-in-austin

Lisa Kokin

Lisa Kokin amazes me, she is intrigued with other people’s photographic recording of their lives. By further researching her works, I found out those images are about the family and social rituals, studio portraits, vacation shots -- and for the feeling of sadness and nostalgia. Somehow I feel like I am acquiring other people’s memories through her work and that provokes me getting curious of seeking people’s life. I feel somehow that it should be illegal to look at them.

By looking at these nature of the photographed people’s lives. I can imaging their life although I do not know the truth, but looking at them makes me feel great, a sense of seeking has been pleased which is quite strange for other people but I feel happy. By looking at her work, my approach is to make this anonymous objects with a new identity and new life. For my project is the vintage handbag and two old-fashion shirt. I altering them by placing different position on the bag and also cut them into different patterns. What’s more, I have done some research about the details of the yellow flora print shirt which is quite interesting connected with the 1970’s fashion style. So I think I can link some old times objects or images to do such a textile piece in a garment maybe.

Reference:http://www.lisakokin.com/sewn-found-photos01#!prettyPhoto%5Bfolio%5D/3/

Maternal Instincy

NATALIA GEMMA

I think Gemma's print is universal and I do not understand why people love flora that much because personally I am not interested in flora print. But as this project is about changing the pass into the future I do prefer the old time's flora print than nowadays. By viewing her personal website I found out she is using print in various areas as a textile designer. She refers to wallpaper, fashion and others as well. I choose this image for its colours is not so well because I am bad at combining the colours but this time I can tell the colours are all so bright and I can not relax myself because of the red background. I think using darker blue or light yellow could be better which will make people focus on the flora but not the background. In this case, I think I have learnt something of mixing and balanced colours to my textile samples in the final development.

RCA Exhibition By Lora Avedian

RCA Exhibition By Kristina Aliberti

RCA Exhibition

I put these images together because of their unique techniques by using daily materials or they used new constructer to create the silhouette. Starting from the textile piece made by Kristina Aliberti, she uses short fabrics stripes and then making extensive nods with the silver rings. Another textile is made by Eden Lysette Blaber caught my eyes because I have made the similar experimentation of latex and I think she uses silicon and other dye colours. The shining glitter powder with the see-through materials combine very well and the weaving technique makes me want to try as well.  Samantha Yang is using wool-like materials and I am very curious about the construction because the sample looks very flexible which is a big contrast with the materials itself because wool always give me the first impression of hard and stable. The reason why I choose Becky Jones's works is the daily materials she uses and also the combination of colours looks very delightful. I think I can also try to use some unusual materials from daily life instead of just using yarns and fabrics stripes. Hannah Refaat's work depict the beauty of tassels and she stitch them from the middle this is a detail from her garment design and I think this is really fluffy and I want to touch it so bad. 

I think this exhibition is really inspiring and their works are so mature and so complete and this remind me of my work which is always looks quite experimental and unfinished. I should keep work on this process and also trying new materials and new idea from the daily life.

RCA Exhibition By Becky Jones

New Designer Exhibition

New Designer Exhibition

Tine Isachsen

This is my recent favourite illustrator and she inspired me a lot.

Personally,I think she has a distinctive impression by her expressive illustration style. What's more she emphasising aesthetics of human's body she makes me immersed into a dreamlike world. On the other hand, I like the unsettling beauty from her illustrations by those unstable lines and capture of the character's emotions.  She works with line drawing, watercolour, photography and video-art. I found her style is full of mysterious and dreamlike scene. By viewing all her works I like her line drawing the most is seems like the line is out of control and she just draws in randomly but the drawing looks so balanced with all the messy lines. 

Quoi Alexander AW17

Leutton Postle Autumn/Winter 2012 Ready-To-Wear Collection

Leutton Postle

Reference: http://www.vogue.co.uk/shows/autumn-winter-2012-ready-to-wear/leutton-postle/collection

Leutton Postle’s 2012 Autumn/Winter Ready-To-Wear Collection. I quite like the weaving style Leutton Postle by creating different colour blocks and is sort of playful pattern design. Also Leutton Postle’s pattern design reminds me of abstraction painting especially Picasso. By changing different thickness on the same garment I think this approach actually point out the highlight of the garment. What’s more, Leutton Postle using geometric figures to creating the portraits and widely uses in the whole garment as a weaving pattern. Comparing to Cassandra Verity Green’s work I prefer to Cassandra Verity Green’s in both textile volumes and the usage of colours as well.

Aaron Nieh

Reference: http://aaronnieh.tumblr.com/post/148604061957/city-cafe-summer-cup-2016-tt-xx-bb-zz

This cup sleeve is designed by a Taiwanese graphic designer Aaron Nieh. I find this design very interesting because I never think of any design based on cup sleeve again it shows designer’s observant personality. In my opinion, this exotica combines graphics and daily life together. The cup clutch has different colours which fits various customer’s preference on colours and graphics design. With the simple and neat cup design idea I think it fits our life style in nowadays we all looking for something that is not totally the same to everyone and we want to keep everything simple and easy. This also inspired me in some way because I want to design cup clutch for this unit and Nieh’s work is simple and flat. Comparing to his work, I want to do a textile based cup sleeve made by herbal flora and fauna. I will need to consider the feeling of touch and the thickness of the sleeve as well. I need to discussed with Xiao in next discussion time.

Encyclopedia of Flower

Encyclopedia of Flower

Finger Gloves 1972

Rebecca Horn

Rebecca Horn

This Australia artist has explored and utilised prosthetic to expand the human body beyond its limits. Her life experience put her into a sever isolation consequence but she has came through and bring up lots of delightful and universal thing. During all her work I have seen I think the most stressful and inhuman artwork is the prosthetic fingers stuff which are thin, grid and extremely long and inflexible. This makes me wonder the hidden message behind the finger why did she want to make this? What does she trying to say? I think her main idea is expressing utilising technology and extend the body through her own life experience. In a word, I feel unpleasant about her work neither the further mask nor the finger gloves is all too inhuman and strange.

Reference: http://www.tate.org.uk/context-comment/articles/extending-bodies

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/horn-finger-gloves-t07845

My feet your head,2014

Guillermo Mora

Materials:Layers of acrylic paint stacked, temper, Chinese ink and wood

This spanish artist is an innovative sculptor who uses rubber bands, belts, and piles of acrylic paint as materials and creates stunning installations which is atypical. His works are almost surreal and the display is playful as well. He basically use acrylic to do his works for example he dumps buckets of brightly colourful acrylic paint on the floor, drops many books into different colours acrylics buckets and wait till them dry then begins to fold and wrap the textural forms.

Despite of the installations is not textile but it really gives me the idea of using different materials. So I would like to try on latex and PVA stuff to create surface and textual works further. Imaging I use the grass and leaves as my colour dyes materials and mixing with three different things of latex paint for example PVA, Silicon and latex. 

Reference: http://www.guillermomora.com/ENG/works.html

Remainder No.8 2016 (detail)

JAMIE NORTH

North’s practice involves sculptural and there are entwined with luscious plant life. The compelling contrast between these two elements tells a story of the relationships between nature and architecture, erosion and transformation, feelings of inanition and vibrant. North’s most significant influence is creating this environment which is both natural and man-made. His primary materials include concrete and recycled slag – a bi-product of smelting iron ore.

To be more specific, his works somehow shows the concept of balance. He interpreted his interests in his sculpture which is steel, mining and building industries. The combination of mineral and plants works so well which is what I am trying to present the same concept but my interests is to make human and the natural works peacefully and convenient.

Reference:http://jamienorth.com/remainder-2016

EXPLOSION serie, 32x45cm, 2015.

Sabatina Leccia

Materials:Embroidery and Drawing on Linen

Artist Sabatina Leccia plays with abstract color and threaded marks in her Painting Embroidery series.Since graduating from Central St. Martins, Sabatina Leccia has developed projects using various mediums such as embroidery, ceramics, glass and such. Comparing to all her practice I like her stitching works. She is particularly attached to the idea of creating unique pieces and is known for her bold and delicate use of colours. As the image shown above, the stitches become part of the painting, instead of the brush strokes adding a contemporary spin on the craft of embroidery shows the spontaneous movement.

Speaking of the reason why I would like to bring up this artist is for her bold idea of non-preparing. I think is really hard for me doing things without any preparing. “I work directly on the fabric, without preparing sketches beforehand,” Sabatina explained on her website. “The result is spontaneous explosion of patterns and colors.” She then end up with these poetical and abstract drawing represent her inner landscape. I think the whole process intrigued me and inspires me to play with abstract, painterly colour. She use embroidery very clever letting them become part of the painting itself.

Reference:http://www.sabatinaleccia.com/www.sabatinaleccia.com/Painting_Embroidery.html

Daily of the 5th of August 2008

Ivano Vitali

Date of Work:5,August,2008

Reference: http://www.artnest.it/gomitoli/gomitoli2/filo21.html

Ivano Vitali takes newspaper recycling into ’yarn’ and then uses knit and crochet techniques to turn it into wearable garments. Ivano Vitali is an Italian artist his works has primarily been in sculpture and performance art. One specific technology that he inspired me was his eco-friendly artwork.He used newspaper into art,and other things as well.For example,plastic bags,magazines and cardboard,this works that he has already started in the late 1970’s.

Back into my work, I think this technique could be used in mine as well. Instead of using up-cycled materials I can used related vintage products or elements twisted into yarn then knit it or weave it. What makes me think a bit further if I want to make the idea come true I need to fine a solution to keep the yarn in stable because fabrics is easy to loose.

RCA Exhibition By Meghan Spielman

RCA Exhibition

This is a recoding of the RCA MA Textile Exhibition.

By viewing those exhibits I found two different flora textiles design. 

On the left side, the embroidery and 3D materials embroidered on the top looks elegant,dreamy and concise. I like her position of making the embroidery and the blankly place make the piece not to mess and very delightful to view. Comparing to the left one on the right side, this is more weaving stuff and a big scale of work. I like the combination of the colours and also the edges was solved in a clever way by making tassels instead of making nods. Personally I prefer the embroidery in smaller scale and denser. Also I think the weaving sample could be better if the embroidery could be using contrast colour so that people can easily find out there is embroidery on the top by not getting too close to the sample.  I think if these two technologies combine together could be very stunning for its weaving technique and also the meticulous embroidery on the top.

RCA Exhibition By Eden Lysette Blaber

RCA Exhibition By Samantha Yang

RCA Exhibition By Hannah Refaat

New Designer Exhibition

New designer Exhibition

I have selected three textile exhibits that caught my eyes from the exhibition. Speaking of these exhibits I think their materials treatments are quite the same and also the materials are similar as well, they are all lightsome and the colours are quite similar as well. I am curious about the materials and also their works could be used into fashion because they do reminds me of Iris Van Herpen, the silhouette, the materials, the gossamer like as well.

Please take my mask off 2016. Pen on paper

Quoi Alexander SS16

Quoï Alexander

Reference: http://www.quoialexander.com/aw17/

Who uses many thick and rough materials to weave and knit. By looking at these work somehow reminds me of polypropylene knitted bag. Quoï Alexander evokes me about using shoelace and industry ropes as weaving materials. Also by looking at the designer’s work I found textile can be used widely like shoes, accessories and the whole garment stuff. Personally I like the contour of these garment design and mixing up various materials in both messy and well-organised way. Quoï Alexander also tried on thinness materials to weave as fabrics which fits my concept of using up-cycled materials and also trying different thickness materials to create different volumes on the same piece of work. This techniques and practical work could be used in my co-create project on knitting weaving the artificial herbal materials.

Cassandra Verity Green Spring/Summer 2015 Ready-To-Wear Collection

Cassandra Verity Green

Reference: http://www.vogue.co.uk/shows/spring-summer-2015-ready-to-wear/cassandra-verity-green/collection

By looking at Cassandra Verity Green’s work I feel like she is good at arranging colours because those warm and cold colours blends together quite well. Looking at her Spring and Summer 2015 ready to wear collection, she represent the beauty of lines in a very mature way and I like the volume and usage of gaps. Also her textile works in both weaving and knitting I think works quite well I kind of like the fluffy effect she create and only looking at the image makes me being curious of her materials. What’s more, her works looks more complete comparing to Quoi Alexander because It looks more delicate and somehow I can imagine the detail is going to be meticulous.

Encyclopedia of Flower

Makoto Azuma

Although the cover says is an encyclopaedia of flowers which is different from the universal one with many contents and scientific words on it. By viewing the book I found this prone to be more photography than the traditional encyclopaedia. The author’s photography somehow create a new perspective of looking at these plants and flowers and their component parts. This book change my  former thought of encyclopaedia because is less instructional and scientific and more artistic. What’s more, the artist Makoto Azuma was inspired by the Japanese tradition of Ikebana -the art of flower arranging-he creates novel and unseen aesthetics by bringing unusual plants that wouldn’t meet in nature. Comparing to Gerard’s Herbal book it shows me more aesthetics than science facts which I think is more fits for nowadays and suits for young people normally people prefer images than lots of content work.